Providing social services for children with disabilities and other children suffering exclusion
Our model is centred on the child, their families and the community, and provides holistic care to children at day care centres.
Many of the 20,000 children with disabilities in Kosovo experience exclusion, stigma and isolation in their everyday lives.
Despite developments in the provision of social and family services since the end of the war, these are still woefully inadequate. Our day care centres fill urgent gaps in social services and have improved development opportunities and life skills for children with special needs. Psychosocial, education and recreational activities have enabled children to develop their skills, while gaining confidence and self-esteem.
Meet Bujar, who attends a daycare centre in Kosovo.
- Provide high quality support for children with disabilities, children facing social exclusions and children affected by domestic violence
- Equip vulnerable children with the skills they need to navigate and integrate into mainstream society
- Support parents’ to learn more about disabilities and empower them to fight for their children’s rights
- Improve Kosovo’s acceptance of and services for children with disabilities
- PEMA staff organize individual and group work to help the children maximise their potential
- Parent-support groups have been set up
- National activities such as open days, special events and national roundtables, increase awareness among the wider community on the needs of vulnerable children and helps to reduce stigma around disabilities
- Expanded the number of day care centres from two to four
- 320 children attend day care centres each month
- Over 650 children and adolescents received care in four day care centres over 2 ½ years
- 350 parents benefited from support groups
Follow us on Twitter
Over the last eighteen months, the ENABLE programme has already helped over 1,000 mothers and children, with a further 9,000 people reached in the local community. Watch our film and vote so we can reach more ow.ly/jXhw30jsx1J pic.twitter.com/9J8nQQXCOU
Your vote is worth £10,000! Vote for our film and help us fund our Mentor Mother project reducing infant mortality and preventing HIV transmission from mother to children in the Eastern Cape everyfootstepcounts.com/efc-c… #HIV #AIDS2018 #impact