Improve access to, and quality of, antiretroviral treatment for HIV positive infants, children, and adolescents in Zambia and Zimbabwe
We are implementing an in-depth Community Health Worker (CHW) based project in Zambia and Zimbabwe to reduce the impact of HIV
In Zimbabwe at least 170,000 children are living with HIV.
Both countries have made significant progress reducing transmission of HIV and improving access to treatment in the last decade, but children and adolescents are not benefiting from these efforts to the same extent as the rest of the population. These groups need tailored support.
Meet Fanwell and his family, who benefit from the support the project gives them.
- Reduce child morbidity and mortality in Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Reach 7,000 vulnerable children, adolescents and their families
- Improve care of pregnant HIV-positive women and lower mother to child HIV transmission rates
- Raise the living standards and career opportunities of the 60 CHWs
- The project recruits, trains and integrates 60 Community Health Workers (living with HIV) into clinics teams to provide treatment and holistic care in the clinics.
- CHWs help children and young people adhere to their drug regime and improve the care available to them
- CHWs conduct outreach work in local communities, improving the understanding of HIV and its treatment
- Improve pregnant HIV-positive women's access to ART
- The project expanded from 10 clinics in the first year (5 in Zambia and 5 in Zimbabwe) to 16 clinics in the second and third years (again with half the clinics in Zambia and half in Zimbabwe)
- We have developed a toolkit for comunity healthworkers and best practice guidelines with partner PATA
Location: Clinics throughout Zambia and Zimbabwe
Funder: UK aid from the British people
Partner: PATA and local clinics
Dates: From 2014 to 2017
Status of Project: Replicating and scaling up
Between 30% and 45% of HIV positive women who are not accessing treatment will pass the virus on to their babies.
Follow us on Twitter
Want to beat #blueMonday feels? Kick start a positive week by signing up to run the Paris Half Marathon. Message for details! 🏃